With the cold season right around the corner, it is time to refresh ourselves on the difference between a cold and the flu. Both can make you miserable. But while the flu's worst symptoms typically last three to four days, colds hang on from seven to ten days. Here are some other differences.
Symptoms Cold Flu
- Fever Rare High (102 -104) last 3-4 days.
- Headache Rare Prominent.
- General aches and pain Slight Usual; often quite severe
- Fatigue and weakness Quite mild. Extreme; can last 2-3 weeks.
- Runny, stuffy nose Common Sometimes
- Sneezing Usual Sometimes
- Sore thoat Common Sometimes
- Chest discomfort, cough Mild to moderate Common; can become severe
- Complications Sinus congestion Bronchitis, pneumonia; or earache can be life-threatening